where we'll join our heroine in her travails in search of kick ass music and more

Thursday, July 19, 2007

The States @ The Annex - 7.17.07

Although I love to hear about new bands, I never really seem to catch them on the way up. Even though none of my friends ever know any of the latest bands I've fallen for, they're usually pretty well known in the press (at least the UK one) by the time I get a chance to see them. But this time it was different. One of my friends told me about The States, a local band. Or rather, she made me a copy of their advanced cd. Which was great, since as even she admitted, I'm the one that usually introduces her to bands. Always great to have things reversed.

I enjoyed their album from day one. It's pretty much been on heavy rotation on my ipod ever since. So when she told me they'd be playing a local gig, I jumped at the chance to go see them. That particular one didn't work out, but they eventually managed to reschedule and the show went on last Tuesday.

I'd never been to the Annex before. Nice place, a bit oddly shaped, with the sound booth seemingly taking up half of the floor space, but still pretty cool. And they had a roomy balcony which was a pleasant surprise. Which is where we absconded to before the show began.
They started a little after 9 pm and opened with my favorite, Charm Offensive. At least I think that's what it was. I'm always lousy at remembering song titles. It was just as good as on the cd - really kicking guitar and great beat. And then they started having technical problems. The lead singer/guitarist's guitar refused to play. We were then treated to some excellent bass riffs while they tried to figure out what was wrong. The bassist was so into it, that I kidded he'd sabotaged the guitarist in order to get some solo time ;o) He was quite good though, so no harm done.

They eventually start playing again, but then it turned into a half-hearted episode of Top of the Pops, as in the guitar wasn't actually making any sound. Order was soon restored though and they continued to play ever better. And to an adoring crowd. At one point, a girl behind us yelled out, 'I want to have your babies'. I think that's a pretty good sign the band is going places.

http://www.myspace.com/thestatesonline

No comments:

Post a Comment